John Dower Teaching Guide to ANPO: Art X War
Order Educational DVD
MIT Visualizing Cultures Teaching Units
- Protest Art in 1950s Japan: The Forgotten Reportage Painers by Linda Hoaglund
- Tokyo 1960: Days of Rage & Grief: Hamaya Hiroshi’s Photos of the Anti-Security-Treaty Protests
Recent articles about the U.S. military presence in Japan.
- Know Your Enemy (Art In America):
- Odd Couple: Frank and Paul Target Military Spending (NPR): “We don’t need 15,000 marines in Okinawa – they’re a hangover from a war that ended 65 years ago.
- Breaking up is Hard to Do: Blog post about recent political changes in Japan and their impact on the issue of U.S. military bases in Japan.
- Okinawan Environmentalists Put Robert Gates and DOD on Trial: The Dugong and the Fate of the Henoko Air Station
Background surrounding the presence of U.S. bases in Japan.
- Map of U.S. Military Bases on Okinawa
- Escape from Dependency: An Agenda for Transforming the Structure of Japanese Security and the US-Japan Relationship
- The Girard Incident: Summary of case where a U.S. soldier shot a Japanese woman in the back, sparking a major crisis in U.S.-Japan Relations.
- Overcoming American Military Base Pollution in Asia: Japan, Okinawa and the Philippines
- Dugong v. Rumsfeld: Summary of case brought by environmental organizations against the U.S. Department of Defense to protect the Okinawa Dugong, a nearly extinct cousin of the manatee.
- The US-Japan Status of Forces Agreement and Okinawan Anger